Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Words of wisdom for the college bound

Column originally published Aug. 16, 2011.

It's great fun every spring to solicit advice for graduating high school seniors. What a heady time for those young folks on the brink of adulthood when nearly everyone they encounter offers congratulations.

Though it's been a few years since I collected a high school diploma, I can vividly recall the feeling of empowerment from that June slowly giving way to many less wonderful emotions as it dawned on me I would actually be going off to college where I would know precisely one other student. He'd been my best friend forever, but still, it was the two of us in an entirely new world.

It's that time of year again where last spring's high school seniors become this fall's college freshmen. The advice in this instance is much less "the world is your oyster" and much more "buy enough socks and underwear so you only have to do laundry once a month."

From my own experience, I strongly suggest trying to spend as little on books as possible. As an English major, many of the texts I needed were cheaper at the mall than on campus. Also, if I'd asked some upperclassmen, I would have learned which professors have a tendency to put books on the "must purchase" list and then not bother to work them into the curriculum.

For students going from a larger high school to a smaller college, you may well be a big fish in a small pond — but not on day one. On day one, you are all guppies.

Many of my Facebook friends suggested the same kernel of wisdom I planned to impart: meet people on campus. Do not go home every weekend, do not spend all your free time visiting high school friends at other colleges. It is fine in moderation, but if you find yourself isolated and alone on a college campus, you have only yourself to blame.

Learn as quickly as possible the rules of your school's food service program. They are different at every college, but successful mastery of getting the most out of your meal plan dollar is absolutely essential. Likewise, figure out if you can use your own computer in conjunction with network printers. A printer in your dorm room takes up too much space, not to mention the impact of ink or toner on your meager budget.

Continue reading "Words of wisdom for the college bound."

No comments:

Post a Comment