Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Using print to do what microphones can't

Column originally published Sept. 13, 2006

For those who were unable to attend Monday's Sept. 11 memorial service — and for those who were present and unable to hear me due to a faulty microphone — I offer in print the gist of what you would have heard had you been there, or at least standing close enough to hear me shout.

Well, it wasn't exactly shouting. I prefer to think of it as projecting. I did earn a theater minor. But I digress.

I introduced myself as such:

"Thank you. It's an honor to be involved with such a solemn event, and to see how many of my friends and neighbors join me in my belief that events like this memorial service are fundamental to the strength of our community and country.

"Some of you are good enough to read what I write each Wednesday, but today I want to spotlight your words, your memories and your thoughts and ideas.

"I'd like to introduce Marilyn Schmidt, who was kind and brave enough to write me a letter about her experience on this day five years ago."

And yes, I prepared that speech, which is how I'm able to quote myself verbatim today. Anyhow, here’s Marilyn's letter:

Continue reading "Using print to do what microphones can't."

No comments:

Post a Comment