Column originally published Nov. 23, 2005
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — This year, I’m thankful for… well, I’ll just be thankful if I’m alive Thursday to even ponder what I’m thankful for.
As many of you read this, I’ll be nearing the end of one of the longest days of my young life. The reason: An airplane trip to North Carolina with my wife and 19-month-old son. On one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. Through one of the busiest airports in the world. With my parents.
Lest you jump to conclusions about the necessity of the journey, allow me to explain that this trip isn’t about Thanksgiving, it’s about a family memorial service for my grandfather, who died in September.
And lest you jump to conclusions about my relationship with my parents, let me point out that I see them as an asset on this voyage, especially since they owe me from the time we flew to Florida for Christmas when my brother and sister were about the age Jack is now. Did I mention we only had three seats for five people?
Continue reading "What a long, strange trip it'll be"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment