I first met Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass, on an April Sunday in 2003. It was my first presidential campaign event, and I was more struck by his presence than his message (though his message was pretty solid, too). I didn't know then he'd win the nomination, nor did I really appreciate living and working in Iowa and getting to literally meet and great most of the presidential candidates (I didn't get to meet Al Sharpton).
On a side note, my news coverage of this campaign event got blurbed for another Web site, iowapresidentialwatch.com. I was not aware of this until I practiced "Googling" myself on a slow news day. The blurb was inserted here.
CLINTON — I’d vote for John Kerry.
I may never get the chance. As a voter registered with no political parties, I’m really not welcome at primary elections. So the only chance I have to vote for the Massachusetts senator is if he gets the nod to face off against our president in 2004.
But sure, I’d vote for John Kerry. Of all the presidential candidates I have personally met and shaken hands with, he’s my favorite. This is kind of like saying that of all the mothers I’ve had, I like my mom the best. No competition.
It’s an interesting thing, the campaign trail. I met Sen. Kerry last Sunday in the home of local Democratic activists Carol and Cami McGuire. I’d never met a presidential candidate before, but I talk with Sens. Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley almost weekly, and have done one-on-one interviews with the likes of Rep. Jim Nussle and former gubernatorial candidate Bob Vander Plaats.
But somehow, Sen. Kerry seemed to be just a bit more exciting. Perhaps it’s natural charisma, or a special energy he and his staff had because this is The Man Who Could Be King. Or maybe I was actually more excited to rub shoulders with a photographer from the Boston Globe and a reporter for the Washington Post.
I have a strong suspicion that most political moderates, dropped in a room full of fervent liberals, would be convinced that the calm, cool and collected Kerry is the man to beat, not just in the primaries, but for the whole ball of wax. Kerry used all the right buzzwords — education reform, building the strength of our nation — and was interrupted several times by gleeful applause. I think I even heard an “Amen” from the back corner.
It was fun to watch him work the room, making small talk and greeting people with honest appreciation. I watched campaign stereotype No. 1 as soon as Kerry hit the room and saw a couple with a very small baby. “And who’s this young Democrat here?” he asked, flashbulbs popping.
For full disclosure purposes, I totally agreed with many things Kerry had to say. I’ve yet to hear the first good thing about the No Child Left Behind legislation, and I really think those responsible for it should at least own up to what a mistake it’s been. But I don’t necessarily dislike the sitting president, and I certainly can’t base my view of the next 20 months of campaigning on a 90-minute brush with what may be The Next Big Thing.
Personally, I encourage everyone to register to vote for any and all elections, and to learn as much as possible about what they’re voting on. I would encourage this even if it didn’t boost newspaper sales. I think the best safeguard against most dangers is an educated, active public.
I don’t think Sen. Kerry was a bad guy at all. I don’t want anyone to get that impression, least of all his supporters from Sunday, all of whom should be commended for being a part of the process. I’m just hoping that eventually I can get used to meeting these candidates, and that I won’t be wowed by the flurry of activity surrounding each one’s (80-minute late) arrival.
It wouldn’t be right for me to tell anyone who to vote for in 2004. For all I know, I’ll change my mind with every campaigner that comes through town. And forgive me if what I really want to do is meet the actual president. The campaign trail is littered with names of those who didn’t even make it out of the first caucus.
But I do encourage everyone to get involved. Pick a horse and stick with him or her, or leave your mind totally open until you go to the polls. There’s not much more the average citizen can do to be truly patriotic than entering a ballot box.
